Monday, August 24, 2009

to build a home

there are some things that i really love. you've read about some of them (if you are reading my blog...and now i furrow my brows and look sternly at you because you better be reading my blog). i love air conditioning, sleeping/naps, my friends, chickens in wheelchairs, etc.

i will get back to the things i love topic, but i first need to make a note about being unemployed. having all the time in the world allows one to do a lot. or a little depending on the productivity levels of said person. for me, what it has allowed me to do is indulge in the things i love. i love music. not just a small crush, but the kind of deep love that radiates through your body and sends shock waves through the universe. music moves me. quite often, literally. my body moves to music and so does my life. being home for more hours than most people has allowed me to have a nonstop soundtrack playing in the background. music has the ability to effect my moods and stirs emotions that few other things can in the way music does. i don't know how to describe it really. it as if the beating of my heart is synced with the rhythm of the sound. there are songs that make me want to jump out of my skin, in the best way possible, and dance across the universe. trippy i know. this isn't some drug rant, although i will fully acknowledge that it sounds like one. it is just that i felt it important to note my love for not only the sound of music, but for its feeling. i will say in a very cocky fashion that i am blessed with a really good music collection (thank you iTunes) and it is this collection that makes me smile every day. even on the days when i don't want to get out of bed or i would rather see the inside of my eyelids more than the world...i want to hear music. it gives me something. feeds my soul. so, if i had a glass to raise, i would raise it to you...music. thank you for all that you have given me in life.

(and, a big thank you to The Cinematic Orchestra for To Build a Home. it served as the soundtrack to my writing and it is a song that totally moves me.)

i'm going to switch gears a little and talk about my love for friends (not the show, but the real deal). friends are this amazing creation. there is that cliche saying about how you can't chose you family, but you can chose your friends...or something like it. well, this is going to be somewhat contradictory to that. i sort of believe that you can't chose your friends. your friends, your REAL friends are chosen for you. they are destined to be your friends. they become a force of nature.

this weekend i spent time with many of my dearest friends: having drinks, laughs, food, shopping etc. it reminded me, once again, of how fortunate i am to be able to call these people my friends. to know that they will do anything for me. and vice versa. it's an honor.

due to my current employment status, it seemed like the perfect time for a visit from one of my bestest besties. i've written a lot recently; not just here, but books and other forms. well, in one book that will probably never see a closing chapter, i wrote about rebecca and our friendship.

My friendship with Rebecca is one of those friendships they write novels and movies about (queue Sex and the City, Beaches, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, yadda yadda yadda). I can call her and say anything and trust she will just listen. She is the kind of friend that will hold your hair back when you're drunk and will then buy you a drink to celebrate when you make it out of that bar bathroom. She will also sit up with you all night smoking cigarettes and contemplating life when you leave said bar…even if neither of you really smoke. She is the type of friend you call when you are crying, laughing, sad, mad, happy, nervous…she is that friend. My best friend.


i could go on and on about my friendship with rebecca. she is just one of the few people in the universe that just get me. i can be unabashedly myself and no matter what, she will still be my friend. we often joke that we have the same brain because we know what the other is thinking or feeling without words. we have this ability to communicate with each other's soul. this weekend just reminded me once again how fortunate i am to have the people i do in my life. to know that no matter what...there is someone out there who will be there. it's a great thing to have...to have people like that.

so, to bring this full circle and to turn the music off of repeat...if i could, i'd build a home with friends being the bricks and music being the mortar. i would truly live happily ever after in that house.

No comments: