Friday, August 14, 2009

in my free time...

Quite a broad statement, I know. As you should be aware, after reading my first post, I am unemployed. So, free time is quite a relative term. All my time is really free. One would think that I could get all kinds of shit done with all this extra time of "not working." Well, one would be wrong. Let me tell you why...summer. Yep, I blame summer for my lack of productivity these past few days.

People love to talk about summer in the winter and pump it up. I'm never fooled. Summer never pulled the wool over my eyes and I didn't drink that summer lovin' Kool-Aid that obviously others drank. Although I do love me some Kool-Aid. I am not excited for hot sweaty weather that allows us to know what it would feel like to walk straight into a dog's mouth...hot, humid, and sticky. No thank you "Dog Days of Summer" I will stick to my nice air conditioned room. This brings me to my unproductivity. I don't like being hot. I never have. Ever. I am cranky, miserable, uncomfortable, and sweaty. And, this has always been the case.

I was never one of those kids who loved being outside running around in 100 degree temperatures. Nope. I preferred the inside…preferably the air conditioned inside. When I was little I use to spend summers at my grandparents' house. Inevitably, all of my aunts and uncles would decide to send their children to my grandmother’s house as well during the same few weeks…so, we would all be up at my grandmother’s house. Now that I think about it, I don’t even know where we all slept because there weren’t enough beds. I had a bed. Who knows where Tory and Keirsten slept. Anyway, we would all be there. Most kids ran around, rode bikes, and did kid stuff outside. I am at somewhat of a loss when it comes to that stuff because I didn’t participate. No way. So, I stayed inside and strengthened my love for all things inside- namely, television...particularly daytime television. Yes, I watched soap operas before I was even ten. Get over it.

Now, the inside wasn’t perfect. My grandparents did not have air conditioning, which even my nine year old self hated. I have clear memories of my spoiled ass laying in bed at night sweating and crying wishing I was at home in the air conditioning. It had nothing to do with being home sick. Nope. I was just uncomfortable and enjoyed cool temperatures. But, the disdain for warm temperatures and my propensity to sweat did not start there. No no my friend. Apparently I was a sweaty mess as a baby. Yep, my dad lovingly called me his “Little Sweat Ball,” and still does today if I am near him on a hot day (because I am most definitely sweating.)Every girl's dream, huh, to be known by her father for her over active exocrine system (to boot I have overactive sebaceous glands too…hot I know…don’t worry…I shower daily).

Anyway, all of that to say, I don't like being hot. I never have. As a baby, my body did all it could to fight off the heat (see: crying and sweating like crazy), and today I fight the heat pretty much the same way...just add in some laziness and sleep. Yep, I am pretty much the opposite of a bear. I want to hibernate in the summer and go wild in the winter.

Really, back on topic this time...I haven't gotten shit done since getting laid off and it is the summer's damn fault. Every time I even think of going outside to do something productive I remember how hot it is and how cold my apartment is and I think of some reason why I need to stay in. And P.S. these reason are never good. So, I am waiting for the leaves to begin falling because momma needs to be productive and make some money and nothing is getting done if the temperatures are anywhere near 80 degrees.

No comments: