Friday, August 28, 2009

i took the 145 bus back in time

That’s right folks, I did something unheard of. I left the house and it was as if I walked straight back to 2002. You know what I’m talkin' about. I didn't have my cell phone.

Take a second. Get yourselves together. I know it is shocking.

It was an odd feeling to say the least. I got halfway to my bus stop when I realized it, but it was too late to head back because I had an appointment to get to. So, I had no other choice but to brave this big old city alone.

I got my first cell phone from my dad for my 21st birthday. It was a sweet little Motorola brick phone. I’m not talking Zack Morris phone or anything. It was 2002, but it was nothing like the phones we have today. Green screen? Yes please! and ever since getting my first cell phone back in twenty aught 2 I can't remember a time that I didn't have it with me. I truly felt naked without it today.

I’ve long said that my cell phone is like my cigarette. When I am waiting for someone at a bar, I check my cell phone. When I am nervous, I fiddle with my cell phone. If I go outside to "get some air" I check my cell phone and send a text that I really don't even need to send. And today, I was experiencing some serious withdraw. It was as if I was a smoker on a nonsmoking transatlantic flight. Could someone give me some gum with minutes in it or something? I nearly went mad when I was riding the bus and all I had to do was sit there. Oh, and what time is it? No clue. I stopped wearing a watch years ago. What time will the next bus be here? I dunno, no bus tracker. What books were I suppose to buy at borders? Who knows. I don't use paper. I use the memo function on my phone. It was terrible! And, all I could think was...someone is probably trying to get a hold of me. Yep, they are probably trying really hard to get in touch with me and there is no way to do it.

How did we live like that?

I was happily reunited with my phone three hours later. However, as I walked down the hall toward my apartment with keys in hand, I paused. What if no one was trying to get a hold of me? What if it didn't even matter that I was unreachable for three whole hours?

But alas, 8 missed text messages and 7 unread facebook messages. Yep, all was right with the world and I was needed. Lesson learned. I will never let my little cell phone leave my side again.

No comments: