Wednesday, October 14, 2009

tweet all about it...

Has it ever happened that you read something or see something and you can't even get the words out to discuss it because you have so much to say? You think about it in the shower and over morning coffee. When you fall asleep you can't get it out of your head. But, despite your propensity to be overly verbose and share more than anyone ever asked you to...you can't even talk about its magnitude. I'm not sure if I am alone. Perhaps I am. Sometimes things happen or I read something and I just ruminate over it for a while. I know. It may come as a shock to some of you that somethings render me speechless.

Now, to just quickly get it out of the way, I wasn't all up in arms about how someone could dare tweet about miscarriage or abortion. I wasn't passing judgement or planning out carefully crafted insults. No, I was more in awe.

I have to be honest that I first came across this tweet while reading one of my favorite blogs: The Rest is Still Unwritten. Apparently, more than the world wide web was abuzz about this tweet heard (or read) 'round the world. That's right, CNN even got in on the action by having Rick Sanchez interview Penelope. And, it was this interview that rendered me speechless.

Mr. Sanchez began the interview by saying, "I'm gonna ask you a tough question, young lady, do you have no shame?"

Besides the fact that the host of a show on CNN referred to a 42 year old woman as "young lady," which I have a feeling was more out of condescension then respect...and that he asked, "Did you literally just have it? Or, did you excuse yourself?" (referring to her miscarriage as if it was a moment in time sort of thing) I guess I am speechless because this stirred so many emotions up for me. And, I am left to wonder why it is that people can't tweet about miscarriages or abortion. Really, when we boil everything down, why tweet about anything? Does the world really need to know this?

Or what about this earth shattering news?



You see, no one needs to know anything that anyone tweets about. Twitter is there. People use it. Why is there suddenly some unwritten rule that says you can tweet about what you made for dinner, but you can't talk about a very personal experience. Why is some stuff off limits?

And, I get it. Really, I know the answer to this. I'm not that naive. I understand that some people believe that there are topics that are to be kept private. But really, why do others get to set those rules for us. Why are we made to feel that there are some things we can share, but others we can't. What if we want to share them? What if we need to share them?

We live in a time where we don't keep much private. Or perhaps it is more fitting to say that we view privacy differently. I don't even know the names of my neighbors, but I know the life stories of people that I've never even met because of TV and the Internet.

So, why is it that we are shamed for making choices about how we share our own lives? Why do others get to set the rules for our lives? Why do they judge when we choose to set our own rules?

That may have been the kicker for me. It may have been the way that Rick Sanchez said, "...do you have no shame?" Why? Why do we have to feel shame in sharing our life experience. I won't tweet or blog or post about the personal business of others on my Facebook status, but why can't we decide on our own what we give of ourselves?

I'm a huge proponent of sharing the personal experience. Probably to a fault, at times. I think you should discuss things. Get it all out. Say what you feel. I do believe that the best way to do that is through face to face interactions, but I also find great catharsis in doing it through the written word. And, in the world we live in today...the written word usually has an http:// before it. There should be no judgement in that.

So, this may have been all over the place, but the point is that I was speechless because I felt so many things. While I was in awe of Penelope's free expression of her own personal experience, I was sad because I was reminded that we shame each other for the human experience. There is no one person to point the finger at, but the truth is that at times we all contribute to the shaming of others for experiences that are out of their control or feel larger than us.

I remember posting something a while back and having a conversation about how I didn't need my family to read it because it said something about sex or something. The response I got was, "well, why put it on the Internet?" It was a valid response, but what I responded with was that it felt good. It sometimes feels good to get things out that are taboo and ugly in the eyes of others. Life isn't always beautiful. And, if that makes others uncomfortable, I'm sorry. Sometimes, there is more than just the pretty stuff to share. We sometimes experience hurt, abuse, miscarriages, abortions, depression, anxiety, pain...and sometimes we just make ravioli for dinner. It's life. There should be no shame in any of it.

19 comments:

Dawson said...

Excellent post Miss Emily. I can't believe CNN treated her like that!

rachaelgking said...

I love you SO much for this. I'm sorry you don't think my wire hanger and "push me down the stairs birth control" jokes are funny, Rick. But you sure as hell can't make me stop telling them.

lexa said...

This is fantastic. I would rather read something real and raw than some tweet about someone's dinner.

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly concur. Great post.

Does anyone really take Rick Sanchez seriously, though? I hope not.

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

Beautifully written and wise. Why indeed.

Jaime said...

"Sometimes, there is more than just the pretty stuff to share. We sometimes experience hurt, abuse, miscarriages, abortions, depression, anxiety, pain...and sometimes we just make ravioli for dinner. It's life. There should be no shame in any of it."

There is no shame in it. There's nothing shameful about life, especially about the things in life that you can't control, the things that happen to you whether you ask for them or not.

Great post!

verybadcat said...

What gets me is the whole "shame" word. Why not "discretion", or "sense of privacy". Shame is a heavy word. What is she supposed to be ashamed of? Getting pregnant, having a miscarriage, being grateful for the miscarriage, her intention to have an abortion if she hadn't miscarried? Because while these topics are controversial and inflammatory, should she really feel *shame* for any of it? He was basically implying that her tweet should have been one of her deepest darkest secrets and not a public announcement. Because we should all bear the hardest parts of life in shamed silence? Not this girl. No way.

adrienzgirl said...

Really it's more an issue of morality. Americans feel like we should mandate everyone's moral compass. To hell with that. Or perhaps with my soul, guess what! It's mine, I can make decisions for it and where it goes, if in fact it goes anywhere, when I leave this world!

emily said...

Thanks so much for all of the love! I was not sure how this post would be received. It didn't stop me from wanting to post it, I was just curious what others would think about it.

Your kind words mean a lot!

Sami said...

People should be able to say what they want, where they want, however they want. We have an amendment aaaaaall about free speech! If people don't like it, they aren't being forced to read it.

I think the internet is fascinating because every day it pushes more and more boundaries of what is right and wrong regarding what information people display. :) Cool stuff.

Rachel said...

When I first started writing on Livejournal my very first post was something like "why would you put private stuff on the internet? how can you be candid if you know people are going to read it?"
Of course, less then two years later I was writing all the details of a broken heart. Yeah, it's overwrought and angsty and dramatic, but I don't want to hesitate to post "cringeworthy" stuff on the internet, just because other people think I should be embarassed about it.

Great post.

Skinny Dip said...

This was a really interesting post. I haven't given much thought to what's "appropriate" or not for Twitter. Its such a new form of media and I'm still trying to get used to it myself--as are other people probably. So, I don't think what Penelope wrote was inappropriate, I just think its a bit weird--I mean if that was actually happening to me the last thing I'd think to do was Tweet about it. I'd probably be more concentrated on leaving the meeting & getting to a doctor's asap!

David Stehle said...

You know I'll drink to that! As you know from my post, I'm all about talking about taboo topics. It's the only way we are ever going to learn, to talk about it until it's not longer taboo...or in Rich Sanchez's eyes, "shameful."

emily said...

David- I couldn't agree more, which is why I felt compelled to write my own post after reading yours. I think it is so incredibly important for us to talk about thing that are real and happen. Shaming people doesn't make them go away. It is a waste of time and hurtful.

emily said...

Oh, but before you drink to it...remember to pour one out for Penelope's little one that wasn't.

Yeah, I probably went to far with that one.

Sumit said...

Hi Emily, I stumbled across your blog on 20sb. My take is that one's twitter page is one's own world and one has the right to post whatever one feels - irrespective of whether it fits into society's 'moral rules' or not.

Also, I guess posting about depression, grief, breakups etc. on a public forum might possibly have a therapeutic effect. What say?

emily said...

Sumit- I completely agree. I think there can be a great deal of therapeutic value in being able to release one's emotions on a public forum.

Amandasaurus said...

Hence, I've given up on Twitter altogether. Social networking creates way more drama than it's worth. Stop by my Scatterday post for a surprise!!

Dave "Loose Cannon" Wills said...

Wow. Here I am thinking about whether or not to join Twitter. Even wrote a recent rant about it on my blog http://markthisup.blogspot.com!

I think some people should be banned from using Twitter or have certain restrictions. Lol. Some stuff they post is utterly mundane or outright wild!