Wednesday, October 28, 2009


I came across this a few days ago and couldn't put it out of my mind. Sometimes the most simple of signs are the ones we need to see the most. And, when we need to see them, they make an impact.

This whole unemployment thing that I've been doing for the past couple of months has been an interesting journey. It is odd. I have almost forgotten what it is like to actually get up for work and have a daily responsibility. My weeks generally revolve around two or three different commitments. After that, the rest is up to me. Regrettably, I have not been making the most of that time. I will say that I have a tendency to be very hard on myself. Extremely. Hard. In the past couple of weeks I have been struggling with my purpose. I put a lot of stock in my purpose in life...the footprints I leave in this world. I've begun to fear that no matter how hard I walk right now...those footprints are non-existent. It's one of my biggest fears.

I will admittedly share that I am not really looking for a job, which makes it a little difficult given that I put a lot of emphasis on my career to give my life purpose. The fact that I am not even looking is much to the chagrin of some of my closest friends and some family members. There is a reason for my decision though. In addition to putting stock in leading a purpose driven life...I put an equal amount in happiness. I fear that I won't find happiness if I just seek out any random job that will hire me. I want to find it within. What better way to do that then to have all the time in the world to discover it?

You see, if I were a betting woman I would say that all my chips get evenly split between purpose and happiness. I just truly believe that when you do that...all in...the returns are tenfold.

For those who are concerned, I do have a plan. I'm working with two great friends on a start-up company, which I am over the moon excited about. I really do believe that it will be a great thing and afford all of us some amazing opportunities to be happy, creative, playful, energetic, free, expressive...

So, in the mean time, I wait. I've had big plans to do this "Month of Emily" thing. I've wanted to focus on discovering happiness, taking care of me, and doing good things for myself. For some reason, it just seems to get fucked up on day two (okay maybe one) every time I try. It is just that in this time I have a lot of varying emotions: excitement for what may be, anxiety for what currently is, paralysis from fear, and a host of others. They seem to get in my way.

Perhaps the trick is simply saying it out loud (or as out loud as the blog allows). Today, is day one of the "Month of Emily." I will work on making sure I don't hold back on any of my proverbial chips and place them all in happiness and purpose. Holding back gets you in trouble.

As simple as that sign is, it was just what I needed to see. Everything is going to be amazing. I don't need to worry. All I need to do is play my part in making it a reality.

4 comments:

emily said...

hopefully comments are working now

Amandasaurus said...

It's important to have a job that's fulfilling or you'll just get burnt out. I think that's a risk I'll run more than most people when I enter the working world. If I'm not passionate about something, I can only handle a couple months of it before I start resenting it. So long story short, I think you're making a good choice, waiting it out, if that's what seems right to you - and only you can decide. But in time, as you've already stated, everything will be amazing!

O.F.C.J. said...

Alas, there is so much more to life than a career. God invented you with an objective in mind. And and He created you to like your purpose(beacause you prob. wouldn't fulfill it if you wern't ingrainged with a passion to do it. Just like He made food for our bodies, he also gave us the ability to hunger & thirs so we'd want to eat). So think of all the things you enjoy. Talking? ppl watching? Physically active? Motivational? Analytical? This is just square .5. But trust...it all connects.

P.S. It will be amazing ;)



O.F.C.J.

emily said...

Thank you for the encouragement!