Wednesday, November 4, 2009

old chapters

I've written before about privacy and how it has evolved in our lifetime. I don't know my neighbors' names. I never even met them. I mean, clearly if I had met them I would have an answer to what was up with all the vomiting that happens next door. But, alas, I've never met nor do I know anything about them. Not one thing. Well, besides all the vomiting. What I do know are the stories of people I've never met before. I knew when Georgina found out she was pregnant with a girl. I knew when David decided to return to life as a manwhore. I knew when Lilu's B peed on the cat. I knew when Lexa was called a glorified secretary. And, I know a lot more...about a lot of other people....people I've never met before. All compliments of our friend the interweb.

Problem is, I also know a lot about people I have met. I know stuff I never wanted to know. And, it was a couple of weeks ago that the book of faces let me down again by allowing me to find out information I never needed to know.


I'm not quite sure why it bothered me so much. But, as soon as I saw it I immediately shut the laptop. Apparently shutting the laptop would make it go away. I looked around as if to find out if anyone else saw what I saw. Why book of faces? Why? Why did you allow this to pop up on my news feed?

I had never been in a relationship like the one I was in with him. I hated and loved him with more intensity then anyone I had ever met before. I believe the feeling was mutual. We were too young and too intense. We fought. We saw each other way too often. We probably made each other miserable. And, we couldn't get enough of each other. I remember one night we were in a bar and his friend turned to me and said, "He really does love you. I don't know what he would do without you. He seriously loves you more then you know." The funny thing was that we were celebrating my new job. My new job in another city. The new job I looked for, in another city, to get away from him. He was toxic for me.

It was the intensity that I loved though. It was the intensity that caused this seemingly short lived romance to live way beyond its shelf life.

He use to say we were going to be together forever. He would talk about our children and the kind of mother I would be to them. He told me he loved me and never wanted to be without me. He said he was more in love with me each morning when he woke up next to me...on account of my messy hair and snuggly nature. He drank more then any person I knew. He lied when I confronted him about cheating on me. He never introduced me to his mother. He turned away from me when I cried. And, he left when he promised he would be in the waiting room when I got out.

He cemented my fears that people would turn away from me. He made my suspicions reality. He made me feel more unlovable than I thought possible.

It was years ago. And, I wasn't perfect. I didn't deserve to be treated as I was, but I didn't treat myself well either. I kept returning. I went back for more. I forgave and pretended to forget. I looked the other way and only discussed my concerns for him in anger. He was young. He was hurting his body in ways I didn't even allow myself to acknowledge. His choices were clouded by abuse that he put his body through. It wasn't a free pass. He should not receive a pardon for it, but I should have rested my case and given in. I should have stopped looking for love from someone who couldn't even treat themselves well.

The announcement of his marriage made me sad. Sad that I allowed myself to be hurt so badly by someone. Sad that he didn't want to treat me better. Sad that I believed the untruths I told myself in response to his behavior. Sad that I couldn't "win" by appearing to come out on top.

The sadness faded though. I reminded myself we were young. He hurt me, but I don't believe it was intentional. We didn't know how to treat each other. And, I probably hurt him as well. He wasn't a terrible person. He was funny. He was loyal. And, he could be incredibly loving when he wanted to be. It wasn't me. We just didn't work. And, we were kids. We needed to grow up. Move away. Make more mistakes. And learn to love ourselves.

So, I sent him a message. I told him that he looked really happy and I congratulated him. He didn't respond and I think I am okay with that. In the past I would have been crushed by his lack of response. I had and still have this strong desire to be on good terms with him. He once occupied space in my heart and a piece of him will always remain a tenant. But, relationships don't get their loose ends tied up nicely. The frayed ends linger until you can accept them and understand why the end is much harder to define then the beginning. An email would not have given me closure because what I realized was that I found it long ago. He will always hold a place in my life story, but I am chapters beyond what we were. I got closure long ago. I was just reminded that it comes in your heart and not an email or a moment in time.

The other plus about having closure is that today I can totally laugh when I retell the story about how he peed in my bed. And how I told the dry cleaner that the dog peed on my down comforter because I didn't quite know how to say, "my boyfriend peed on this" and look her in the eye. Let's hope he has learned to keep his drinking bladder under control or that he and his new wife registered for a plastic mattress protector. Bitchy much? Yes, yes I am.

12 comments:

Ric said...

...And the tags are interesting, too.

Too well I know of what you write. You can both love, care for, want to change, yet, decide that you can't fix and need to have a better life. You may even find that you're still attracted to the sloppy, needy guy that he was (and still is) and that's gotta be a little confusing.

Alcoholism and other crummy addictions that hold the world back should be eradicated from current and future generations for the damage they do...but it won't be in our lifetime.

I enjoyed your post, and it allowed me to reflect some more on my own extended family. It's too bad that I can't leave them to their own devices - they're my family - sloppy an all...

rachaelgking said...

"He turned away from me when I cried."

I've been in that relationship. More than once, actually. And for me, it is the defining factor between everything that is wrong in love and everything that is right.

Young, passionate love is exactly as you say... INTENSE. But when the time comes that you can look back and laugh at how silly you were to ever let yourself be subject to that? THAT is a great feeling.

More importantly, this is beautiful, and a more accurate representation of the sentiments that accompany such a relationship than I could ever convey. Thanks for sharing it with us... I know it resonates with every woman, and probably a few dudes as well.

emily said...

Ric...
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was an interesting mix of emotions to write. In the end though, I do hope he is truly happy. I also really hope he is a little more sober than when we dated. His liver won't last much longer if he drinks like he did. Neither will his marriage.

LiLu...
Unfortunately, he wasn't the last of the turning away type. But, it most definitely is a good feeling to be able to laugh about it today and not be sad anymore.

Thank you for your kind words. More then the catharsis of writing there is the satisfaction that I may have struck a cord with someone. You saying my writing was beautiful means so much.

adrienzgirl said...

This resonated with me as well. I had a toxic lover in my early twenties. We were both toxic for each other. We loved each other and loved to hate the other too. Bad combo. Add alcohol to that and you might as well throw gasoline on a bonfire. Sometimes, you just have to realize that the intensity isn't worth the price. You always remember the items you pay the most for.

Jaime said...

I've been that sad girl. But the sadness went away, and I realize that we've both grown and changed. Now I'm married to a wonderful man, and I can't even imagine being in this place of happiness with my ex. But I can, however, look back and smile on the good times. Because there were good times, and it's all that's worth remembering.

Anonymous said...

Facebook,for all of its glorious pluses and high fives for being God's gift to networking, is also a breeding ground for feeling like shit about yourself.

Sometimes, when it comes to old flames getting married, friends who are doing better than you, and exes who are having more sex than you, ignorance is BLISS. Maybe ban the facebook for a while, at least to recover. What you don't know can't break your heart, right?

I TOTALLY get how that news would sting.

He's a total douche for not responding. So obviously a passive-aggressive way of telling you he still thinks of you. Obviously.

You were SO the bigger person for reaching out. Smoooth move girl.

emily said...

adrienzgirl...
Oh the toxic relationship. Hopefully it is a thing of my past. I am not quite sure I can go through it again. I loved the last line of your comment, "You always remember the items you pay the most for." How true!

Jaime..
Smiling about the good times is definitely important. I think it is the only way to move on.

SandyB...
Yep, me and facebook are on a relationship vacation from one another. And, I'm totally the bigger person, right?

Hal said...

Wonderful post...really I would say beautiful as well but it got taken already :) I'm dealing with that closure thing currently... can't quite seem to get a handle on it. time time time right?

btw. i'm a new reader. HI!

Amandasaurus said...

I'm sorry to hear he didn't respond - I too want nothing more than to be on good terms with exes - but I'm glad you feel you've found closure in spite of it!

Rachel said...

I have been in that relationship. I have an ex and to this day no one has made me feel as good or as awful as he did. I loved him and hated him, sometimes in equal quantities.

I can totally understand how the ex's marriage annoucement would make you sad - there are so many emotions tied up when you have a toxic relationship.

I think it was probably better he didn't respond and I'm glad you're okay with it - because I can also relate to the being devastated by the lack of response thing.

Dave "Loose Cannon" Wills said...

Ah. Life, love and relationships. The stuff that makes everything more interesting sometimes makes things a bit unbearable. I too have had my share of uncertain relationships in the past when I was younger.

In the end, I too came at points where I found closure. None like the way you described through the F book. Yet, still unique in their own way.

Glad you were able to move on and love and appreciate the moment for what it was. Another chapter in your life's history.

Jill said...

aww Facebook does know how to crush hearts...I don't like the whole relationship option. I like connecting with old college friends and that's the only real reason I keep it.

Isn't it weird how bloggers sometimes feel closer to other bloggers than their next door neighbors?