Thursday, November 12, 2009

hey!

Wow, it has been a long time since I last updated. I was on a pretty good roll there updating frequently and pow...dropped off the face of the blogosphere. I didn't slip into a coma, get hit by a bus, or any other terrible thing that you may have been imagining. I'm sorry to have kept you up all night worrying where I was. I've been safe and sound all this time. I do have some catching up to do though.

So let's jump right in. Do you know what I am terrible at? Okay besides updating my blog, apparently. Email. Mother. Effing. Subject. Lines.


I believe myself to be a relatively creative person. Right? But, no. All creativity and wit go out the window when it comes to email subject lines. As does my ability to summarize what it is that I am writing about. I end up putting some bullshit like, "hey," or "hey!" "Hello," works just as well. Oh, and I do throw out the "so..." quite often. I mean, read the fucking email. Get over what I put in the subject line. I've never been known for my ability to wrap things up quickly. There is no "long story short" with me. It is always more like, "short story long." So how on earth am I supposed to summarize a whole email in a few quick words? I am lost on this one. I get that it is email etiquette and all, but can Emily Post or who ever is in charge of the interweb etiquette world throw me a bone on this one and accept a "hey?"

6 comments:

DreamTNM said...

Welcome back! ahah I always always just use "hey" lol :)

Amandasaurus said...

Subject lines ARE really hard! Especially when you want to guarantee someone will read it. How can you possibly come up with a title THAT GOOD? Thinking of titles for articles and essays is really difficult, too. Oh but my editor at the school paper is so good at it! His brain is like an instant title generator. I wish I could be like that.

adrienzgirl said...

Glad to know you are fine and well, now maybe I can get some sleep! :)

Sami said...

Haha me too! I'll usually put a ":)" in there... oh, how original.

Rachel said...

I have the same problem with subject lines! I'm fine with professional emails at work, but when I have to send anything out that's from my personal account, I can never come up with anything. If I can get away with it, I'll just not put a subject line, usually after I've spent 10 minutes debating over the subject line.

rachaelgking said...

I am SO "short story long"!!! I'm glad to know there's a scientific term for our condition... ;-)