Friday, November 6, 2009

life on wire

There is a rush that comes along with stepping out into the unknown. It is a combination of excitement, anticipation, nervousness, terror, and overwhelming joy. Funny how one act can bring about so many emotions. The door to each one is open and you somehow walk through them all simultaneously. Close your eyes and walk in. It is perhaps the only way to do it. Walking out on faith. With your eyes closed and your heart open. Open to the experience. Living in the moment. There is a deafening silence and you can hear everything around you. It is the juxtaposition of all that is in the world. Past and present intersect.


What a wonderful feeling. And, what if we approached everyday this way? Perhaps not as dramatic or intense, but if we truly seized each day, each second and never looked back. That would make for true significance.

I watched the movie Man on Wire the other day. Let me tell you that it was amazing. There are no words to describe. I was simply in awe.

The movie tells the story of Philippe Petit's high-wire walk between the towers of the World Trade Center in 1974. For over six years Petit and his friends planned his walk. Planning began before construction of the towers was even complete. Petit spoke of being mesmerized by the towers. Infatuated. They were his destiny. And, in August of 1974 Petit walked his destiny for almost an hour. Making eight trips back and forth 1,350 feet above the ground.

To me it's really so simple that life should be lived on the edge of life. You have to exercise rebellion. To refuse to taper yourself to rules. To refuse your own success. To refuse to repeat yourself. To see every day, every year, every idea as a true challenge. And then, you are going to live your life on the tightrope.
-Philippe Petit

If I can live my life with his passion. His intensity. His purpose. Well, I can think of nothing better.



4 comments:

Amandasaurus said...

I feel like you'd have to walk a literal tightrope before you could understand how to live that way.

adrienzgirl said...

Sometimes you feel like this in your life huh?

Dave "Loose Cannon" Wills said...

I am still trying to read all your posts every day as I pop up my Google Reader. I love your blog so far! :)

I have also nominated you for an award. Not sure if you already got this one but I think you deserve it anyway. It's on my blog's latest article.

e said...

I saw this movie randomly and thought it was so gooooood! It was very inspirational and quirky!