Wednesday, February 10, 2010

i might need to change professions

I can't sleep. Surprise!

Yep, I am trying to look on the bright side. As a result of me not sleeping, I have two really weird things to tell you about. The first, well, just see for yourself:

Please make sure you look at the picture closely. No, I didn't edit this. Yes, apparently, "A DOOZY" is a meteorological term. Who knew?

The second thing you ask? Well, as I lay in my bed trying to sleep I began to hear this annoying clicking sort of noise. It was coming from my kitchen, but I couldn't figure out what it was. It was a clicky rattley noise. I sat up and was about to go look when all of the sudden my apartment jolts. The jolt is what I would describe as somewhat violent. No, not me...my whole apartment. My heart immediately began to race and I went into the kitchen. The clicking noise was coming from a mug that was sitting on top of this tin on my counter. It was rocking back and forth. Now, I will admit that I have a tendency to over react and jump to conclusions about things like this. My imagination just tends to run a little wild. No joking aside though. We just had a FUCKING EARTHQUAKE! Seriously! And, while it may have been a touch crazy, I headed over to the U.S. Geological Survey website (I had to google it first to find out where I should go...I don't have it as a favorite or anything crazy like that) turns out...there was an earthquake! Don't believe me? Here you go...a magnitude 4.3 earthquake. Or you can read this about the earthquake. Totally crazy. Although my heart was still beating out of my chest, I felt a little proud that I felt it and knew exactly what it was. Basically, I'm a seismic genius.

UPDATE: I just got a CNN breaking news alert text on my phone about the earthquake. Too late CNN, tell me something I didn't already know!

4 comments:

Tara said...

haha if you click the link now to read the earthquake article, it says Weather: Flaking Out.

Unknown said...

Usually Ruby (my cat) is up running around and being annoying at 3:30/4:00am. I did hear a loud noise too that woke me up, she was hiding in the corner of the room. I just said "Ruby! Stop it!" and went back to sleep.

Tabitha said...

I'm from California, so I have no idea how common (or uncommon) earthquakes are where you live, but it sounds like they must be rare! In CA, they're fairly common, so unless it's a really big one (and 4.3 is pretty big!), people usually just go, "Hmm...there was just an earthquake." And go about their days. :-P Glad you came through it okay!

emily said...

Tara- Isn't that the weirdest weather forcasting language ever?

Dawson- Shame on you for yelling at poor Ruby.

Tabitha- Earthquakes are very uncommon in Illinois...I'm assuming. So, any seismic activity is a big deal. I can't really imagine living in a place where it is common place to have the earth literally move under your feet. (now that song is stuck in my head)