Saturday, January 16, 2010

Just Say No

For you to be able to grasp the full effect of this post I'm going to ask that you read this: My First Blog Post Ever.

It is very important that you read that first because if you don't you won't understand why you are shaking your head back and forth and giving me that "really emily? really?" look upon reading this post.


I have a habit. Or, affinity for engaging in some late night calling or texting. Not the dirty kind...just the "I might not remember this in the morning" kind. I don't really discriminate. I will contact anyone. If you are saved in my phone, you are fair game. Be warned now. Block me or something.

Anyway, I attended several holiday functions over this past month or two. Many of these functions involved lots of holiday cheer, which I consumed. So, we appropriately queue late night calling and texting at this point. What's the harm you say? A sibling? A best friend here? An old roommate there? Nothing really. Totally harmless. Right? Wrong.

Real fast, I'm just going to say that they really should devote some time in DARE teaching kids about the dangers of drinking and dialing. Maybe Nancy Reagan will jump on board and do some Just Say No shit. She was all over that in the 80's. (P.S. I did just have to google Nancy Reagan to make sure she was still alive and available for said Just Say No campaign. Turns out she is. Also turns out that her real name is Anne Frances Robbins. Like, for real. I'm feel a little duped, Nancy Reagan. If that is even your real name...oh wait, IT ISN'T!)

Anyway, let's fast forward to the part where I discovered that douchebag's (mentioned in the post that you were required to read earlier) phone number wad still saved in my phone. That's right...we're going down that road. Totally text him. Four months later. No communication since said facebook message...not even a response. Yep. Who is awesome now?

Making matters worse, he responded the next day. Later that night he had his roommate try to pull some grammar school sleep over tactic on me as he text me and was all "who is this? I have your number saved in my phone, but no name. I'm trying to figure out if I should delete you." His fatal move was disclosing his real name when I responded, "who is this?" Yep, my next text was, "My guess is you can delete me. My other guess is that your roommate got a text from me last night and doesn't know who I am so he asked you to text me to try and figure it out instead of doing it himself." I totally felt like a rockstar and wanted to high five myself for that one. Douchebag immediately text me apologizing. He somehow tricked me into an hours worth of text exchanges during which he apologized like ten times and got me to agree to meet up for drinks some time which I thought would never really happen but as it turns out "some time" is actually Sunday night. (Imagine that last sentence said in one breath. No breaks. Fast like ripping off a band-aid.)

Yeah, you can shake your head. "Really Emily? Really?"

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

Yeah, i'm going to have to go with that... Really Emily, Really?!

Yeah the texting is silly but hey you are drunk... But sober texting?! eek. And agreeing to meet for drinks and actually making a time? Don't be shocked if he sends you a facebook message Sunday night saying he is not ready for a friendship with you!

Goodluck (smiling) - i had to write that so you could tell im not being a bitch im joking... see this is why emoticons, gosh i cannot even spell it.. are good!

Ric said...

Hey, Emily -

Thanks for continuing to be regular from 1st post to present! and, no, I'm not giving you my cell number - haha.

Happy to trade gtalk, msn, or whatever your favorite chat is...sometimes the evening gets late and you need a little.

Chat soon!

emily said...

Al: I know, I know. I answered the next day because he answered me. I would have felt like a terrible bitch texting him and then not responding when he did. Anyway, I think drinks are harmless especially since I have NO intention of us being anything but friends. If he sends me a facebook message saying he can't be friends....well, I think I will just laugh. Oh, and I had to reschedule which is why I am typing in future tense. Drinks have not happened yet.

As for emoticons, I just don't like them. I don't know where the strong aversion came from. I just hate them.

emily said...

Ric: Glad you are still enjoying it...I am assuming your use of "regular" meant that I rock your socks off.

S.I.F. said...

This is precisely why I give my phone away when I drink! I cannot afford to be texting the ex... no way, no how, no good! Good luck with that! :)