Sunday, January 31, 2010

it's not you. it's me.

Dear New York,

I don't even know where to begin. I first want to start by asking you to please understand and not to hate me. It's me. It's not you. You did nothing wrong. We apparently were not meant for one another. What with your high rent, boroughs, hot dog street vendors, frequently used water taxis, and residents such as this guy....I say no thank you. Chicago just swept me off my feet. It came out of nowhere. I didn't plan for this to happen. And again, you did nothing wrong. I think have been moving in different directions for quiet some time now. I don't know what the future holds for us and I am definitely not ruling out the possibility of us being together at some point. But, for now. Right now. Chicago is who I have to be with. Chicago has my heart. I hope you understand. I want the best for you New York.

Much love,
emily


It's funny. I spent the majority of my life being completely obsessed with New York City. I wanted nothing more than to live there. I always said, "I won't be happy if I don't live in New York City for at least some part of my life." I just felt this amazing connection with the city. It was a relationship. New York was my first love. But, like most love, you go through transition. About two and a half years ago I moved to Chicago and slowly the city began to take over the real estate that New York used to claim in my heart. I moved here sort of on a whim. I had never been here when I decided to move. I did come for a weekend to see that I really liked it. And, I did. So, here I am. About two years into this adventure and I couldn't be happier. I will always love New York City. It has something magical about it that can not be replicated; however, what I began to realize once I moved here is that perhaps some of my love was just about as city...not necessary The City. That's right New York...you get a capital T and a capital C. You're that important. Anyway, I think it was just that I belonged in a city and that is why New York appealed to me so much. Chicago isn't New York, but it is pretty amazing in and of itself. And when I got here, I learned that it was something much greater than New York...it was my home.

So, today I celebrate what it is that I love about Chicago and that I am one of the millions in this big city:

  • Starbucks, Caribou Coffee, Argo Tea, and a plethora of other cafes within walking distance
  • BYOB restaurants
  • Diversity
  • Unlimited selection of take out places
  • Public transportation
  • Cabs at my doorstep
  • Street festivals all summer long
  • Never being woken up by a lawn mover, weed wacker, chirping birds, etc.
  • Two airports to choose from
  • Two baseball teams
  • More bars within walking distance than I can count
  • Doormen
  • Peapod
  • Dog walkers
  • The Redeye
  • Never calling it Willis Tower
  • Always giving cardinal directions
  • The CTA Christmas Train
  • Walking
  • $12 manicures (and 5 places to get them within a 1/2 block radius)
  • Hating the suburbs
  • Never having to shop at a mall
  • $1 burger nights
  • Alcohol delivery
  • Beer gardens
  • The Lake
  • Swimming with the skyline in the background
  • The winter (for real)
  • Hot Dogs
  • City themed bars
  • Penny rides on New Year's Eve
  • Zipcar
  • The green river on St. Patrick's Day
  • Comedy
  • My Chicago friends that have become family
  • and much, much more...

2 comments:

rachaelgking said...

YES YES YES YES.

These are (almost) all why I will never, ever leave the city. Only insert cool DC stuff for cool Chicago stuff. ;-)

Meg said...

Love this! It's why I moved to NYC! I have never been to Chicago, but I think I would like it :)